Re: (ET) painting, using Extend

As I mentioned once before, something I tried last year worked out fine-I took all the pieces off my deck and had it and the pieces hot dip galvanized. So far, it looks just like when it came out of the dip. I never wash it or do anything else to clean it. Way too lazy.

Harry Landis

From: "Chris Tromley" <ctromley gmail com>
To: Elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) painting, using Extend
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 12:29:14 -0400

On 6/7/06, tbamc <tbamc gbta net> wrote:
> FWIW, I used Extend (brush on) on a few places on a car, many years
> ago.  After all the time and effort I spent trying to get rid of that
> rust, I was really PO'd to find it was back--under the paint--just a few
> years later.  It was at that point I spent considerably more money and
> bought POR-15.  Now, wouldn't use anything else.  YMMV.

Hi Thon,

I've used Extend, both brush-on and spray, on some heavily rusted
metal doors.  It looked good for a couple of years, then the rust came
back.  I hate wasting time like that.

Last year I sand blasted the underside of my EGT 150 mower deck.  The
rust was pretty bad, and not all was removed by blasting.  I wasn't
worried because I was going to use POR-15.  They make a big deal about
how its low viscosity allows it to get down into all the microscopic
voids in the rust and encapsulate it.

Nice idea, but bogus.  After removing the expected layer of dried
clippings from my beautiful POR-coated deck I found many little specs
of rust poking out through the coating.  Granted, leaving a painted
steel panel covered with a thick layer of wet grass is a pretty
extreme test, but POR-15 is *not* the magic bullet some believe it to
be.

Now I have to figure out how to hose down my deck regularly without
harming my motors.  It's a mid-mount deck, so that's a pain.  I'm
tempted to pull the motors and replace the bearings with sealed
versions just for this reason.

Chris