Re: (ET) Wow, a little Elec-trak snow shovel!

I have one of the little Toros George pointed out, and have used it
for the last four years.

The major problems with it are as follows:

 * plastic bottom edge and plastic screw are slowly grinding
themselves away against my ratty old tarmac lot

 * it picks up and throws gravel at painful velocities  (ow!  Hey,
watch it with that thing!) which is also an issue on my old blacktop

 * it's single stage, so it gets clogged up by small sticks pretty
easily and has difficulty in heavy wet snow

The good parts are:

 * really lightweight, compared to gas models

 * zero maintenance - no batteries or crankcase, so it hangs on a peg
in the barn wall all summer and wrens nest in it

 *  small enough to use up on my wooden deck, where it does no
significant damage (as long as I remembered to hammer down any
nailheads that popped up over the summer sometime before the first
snowfall)

A heavy duty silicon extension cord is highly recommended.  Any time
you need to use an "electric snow shovel" it will be cold enough to
make a regular extension cord annoyingly stiff.

Some people won't ever like it, because for sheer power it's just not
in the same league as stinky high-maintenance gasoline models.

But I like mine, and use it exactly the way Chris suggested - to clear
the path from the barn to the house, and to clear the deck if I don't
feel like shoveling.  You can develop a technique with it, after a
while, which minimizes the problems and lets you blow deep, wet snow.
First time out, though, don't expect to blow anything more challenging
than eight inches of bone dry stuff - until you've had some practice
it's not much better than an strong electric leaf blower.

--Charlie Brooks