From: Chris Zach [mailto:cz alembic crystel com]
Sent: Sunday, May 01, 2011 1:03 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: Re: (ET) Publications request

Well let's see:

I did have a spindle gall once in the front axle bracket. Tractor
couldn't steer, and I could not get it out. Using a hammer only
mushroomed the top, and I couldn't collapse it by drilling. Likewise
heat didn't work.

New axle and spindles and everything's been fine since. I make sure to
grease-gun all the zekes, including the ones on the front axles and
wheels. No problems.

I do have the snowblower and lift it a lot while working/drive with it,
etc. It's really not a problem if I have about 150 pounds of weight in
the back of the tractor; I've thought at times that what I really should
do is put the tiller on the back to offset the load. Plus I could drop
it to drive on ice.

Maybe that would help; get a weight box and put in a few hundred pounds
of lead or something. That would take more of the weight off the front
wheels.