From: Chris Zach <cz alembic crystel com>
Subject: (ET) E15 welding adventure continues, I will be a welding god someday
To: elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Date: Saturday, October 23, 2010, 4:06 PM
Someday, but not today.

This morning I spent a few hours working on the E15. Plan
was to figure out how to weld 1.5 inch angle iron to the
side of the tractor so I could mount the transmission since
the original mount was a rotted joke.

Well, the big problem is the Elec-trak's transmission
mounts are *not* flat. No, they are at an angle with respect
to the ground and the frame of course. So welding angle iron
would have to be done in a way that would leave a 1 inch
slope between the rear of the running boards and the back.

Nope. So I did about 1/2 an inch, which gave me enough
metal to weld to. Then blazed away for an hour. My welds are
not good, but at least I'm not blowing smoking holes in the
frame. Improvement.

Noted: After awhile I noticed my stick was sticking to the
metal. Big pain, I lost the ability to make a weld puddle.
So after thinking about it (and having to turn off the
contactor since I could not unstick the stupid stick) I
realized my nicd batteries were probably low. Put it on
charge, suddenly I could strike and hold a nice arc.

Getting there. At this point the angle iron is on the
outside of the frame, and it seems to be holding. Now what I
will do is cut a notch in another piece of iron around the
transmission mount, then weld that to the inside iron and
the outside iron. The result will be a box formation, welded
to what's left of the frame, and welded to itself in a box.
That should result in an indestructable mount.

Now the problem: The transmission mount doesn't slope
right. Worse, I noticed a crack in the rear of the
transmission mount ear. Tapped it and a corner of the mount
broke off.

Great. What a complete and utter mess. I'm glad I didn't
buy a box or a frame or a .... yet :-) Now I need to weld a
new block to the transmission mount, then bolt that to this
new angle iron.

On the bright side, I'm learning to weld. And this could
solve my problem of how to angle the transmission; this
inter-adapter could be sloped to fit the new frame. I think
when I am done I am going to wind up with a
franken-tractor.

But on the bright side at least it's sitting on all mounts
and not sagging. I was able to jump up and down on the very
back with no problems, and given that I am 250 pounds, it's
probably pretty solid-ish.

All this has given me enough hope to plan to POR15 the
*front* of the frame and paint that. Then I should have a
tractor ready for the winter. If I can figure out this
transmission mount thing I could get the motor on it before
winter hits then continue fiddling with it in the spring.

Never dull.