(ET) E-12 motor type

Thanks to all for the help in identifying the type of drive motor I have in my E-12. I know now that it is a series wound type, so I now want to find a PWM controller that will work with it. I have no idea what the Alltrax, 4QD, or Curtis controllers cost or where to get them. I'd also like to know how the operator controls the speed with them. Is it with a knob on a potentiometer, a foot accelerator, or by modifying the existing lever? Since I understand PWM generators don't work with series wound motors, I made some measurements on the series wound motor in my Cushman electric golf car, which is about the same size as in my E-12. While driving around the yard, the field winding measured about 2 VDC and the armature had 30 some VDC. As David Roden suggested, why couldn't I provide 2 VDC independently to the field winding, while using PWM to the armature? Would additional inductance or anything else be needed? Has anyone tried this?
Thanks for any info.
Bill Alburty
E-12 in Kansas