Re: (ET) Battery question

Hi, Harry.  When I first got into EV's, I got a small U1 battery to serve as aux battery in my new-to-me EV.  Due to a charger malfunction (I charged it separately), it quickly dried out.  I was able to open the caps and add water to it and it regained capacity.  Since yours have not been overcharged, losing water, you should probably add acid in order to maintain the same SG they are starting out with.

David Brandt

--- On Fri, 4/16/10, harry landis <hlandis hotmail com> wrote:

From: harry landis <hlandis hotmail com>
Subject: (ET) Battery question
To: "elec-trak" <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Date: Friday, April 16, 2010, 7:31 AM

Here's a question for the battery mavens. I am about to send a load of AGM batteries to Africa for use in solar systems. They are Power Battery Corp TC-1250C 140AH 12V. They happen to have large easily removeable cell plugs. If you remove the plugs, wou can easily see the tops of the plates and the glass mat, which is nice and damp, as it should be. There is a large empty space above the plates.
 Since they will hopefully be in use for a long time, under possibly not ideal conditions, there is a possibility that they may get overcharged and lose water. So what would happen if I were to add maybe 1/2 inch of extra battery acid or water or a mixture so as to have a reserve to prevent drying out? Is there some reason that would cause problems?

Thanks,

Harry Landis

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----