Re: (ET) E-12 Traction motor PM?

The Alltrax specialized PWM controller is programmed for the E15; that's
the
machine on which the designer installed his.  I expect it willl work OK
with
an E12 motor, but I'm not 100% sure.  IIRC the few people who've had
problems with Alltrax controllers have been fitting them to E20s, but
don't
quote me on that.  I use an Alltrax on my E15, and I'm really pleased with
it.

At least one person - I think on this list - has used a 4QD controller (PM
motor type) successfully on an ET with a wound field motor.  IIRC, he used
the 4QD's electric brake control to operate a field relay.  These
controllers have are English-made, and have an outstanding reputation.  I
have an older 4QD sitting on the shelf here, intended for my New Idea ER36
(which DOES have a PM motor), but never seem to get the time to install
it.
:-(

I think some folks have also used Curtis controllers in ETs.  These are
series motor controllers, though, and you might need some extra series
inductance to ensure that the current limit works right and that operation
is smooth.  As with a PM motor controller like the 4QD, you'd have to find
way to ensure that you never applied power to the armature until the field
was powered up.

I've also wondered now and then whether some of the larger scooter
controllers might suit an ET.

So, there are actually several options for usable PWM controllers, though
most of them require a little bit of tinkering, and some familiarity with
basic electrical circuits.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA