Re: (ET) E-12 Traction motor PM?

The E12HA has a compound wound motor, not permanent magnet (it is the E12JA that has the perm. mag. motor).

The two big studs are indeed the armature.

The group of 4 small wires (connector P6) is as follows:
Pins 1 and 2: Field winding
Pins 3 and 4: Thermal switch inside motor (ie CB-1)*

The two small wires at the end are for the internal centrifugal switch.

You may be able to use a PM type controller to drive the armature if you provide a separate circuit to drive the field. Or use the Alltrax controller that is designed to drive the field directly. When rewiring, use an ohmmeter to make sure you identify the field correctly (low resistance) versus the thermal switch (0 ohms).

*Many of the Elec-Traks use a large "hockey puck" breaker mounted on the outside of the drive motor, which interrupts the high-power circuit when tripped. Some models, such as the E12, use a small thermal switch inside the motor as a circuit breaker to interrupt the low-power control circuits.

Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*
http://www.ElectricTractorStore.com

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

Bill Alburty wrote:
I'd like to verify that my E-12 has a permanent magnet type traction motor. The manual says it does on page 7-4. My motor has only two big studs with big wires which apparently are the armature connections. But what are those smaller wires? There are two #16 wires going into the can on the end, and four #16 wires going into a hole in the motor housing. I can't follow where these wires come from because they go behind the motor mounting bracket. My E-12 frame M/N is 26AE12HA and S/N FRO2 594. The motor is GE M/N 5BCE56KB5B date code BHN. I want to install a Pulse Width Modulation speed control and I understand they work only on PM motors. I'd like verification of that fact also. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Bill Alburty
Leawood, Kansas