(ET) E-12 Traction motor PM?

I'd like to verify that my E-12 has a permanent magnet type traction motor. The manual says it does on page 7-4. My motor has only two big studs with big wires which apparently are the armature connections. But what are those smaller wires? There are two #16 wires going into the can on the end, and four #16 wires going into a hole in the motor housing. I can't follow where these wires come from because they go behind the motor mounting bracket. My E-12 frame M/N is 26AE12HA and S/N FRO2 594. The motor is GE M/N 5BCE56KB5B date code BHN. I want to install a Pulse Width Modulation speed control and I understand they work only on PM motors. I'd like verification of that fact also. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Bill Alburty
Leawood, Kansas