Re: (ET) Report: BB600 NiCD battery performance in my Elec-Trak

On 17 Nov 2009 at 8:04, Barry wrote:

> It originally came with 36 200 ah lead acid or Ni-Cds depending on
> when it was made. I am looking for a source of Ni-Cds.

Regrettably Saft no longer manufacture the STM5-180 which may be what you
are thinking of.  Alas, I don't know of anyone else offering a similar
NiCd
battery at an affordable price.

There is a very small number of used STM5-180s floating round but most of
them have been (well) used in buses and are close to the end of their
useful
lives, so probably not worth what the sellers ask for them.  I too have
been
looking for STM5-180s but have passed on every offer so far, because the
sellers couldn't or wouldn't tell me how many cycles were on them.  I've
just about given up.

I may be thinking of another van, but I have a vague recollection that
some
of the Gvans came with very heavy and long-lived Chloride tubular plate
lead
batteries.  A forklift dealer might be able to locate something similar.
Or
you could do as other Gvan owners have done and use ordinary golf car
batteries.

Or, if you're really brave, try lithium.  You'll need a BMS of course.

I suggest you join the EVDL.  Subscription info here :

http://evdl.org/

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA