Re: (ET) Report: BB600 NiCD battery performance in my Elec-Trak

Barry wrote:
Chris:

This is a bit off subject. A neighbor and I just purchased two GMC Electric
G-Vans and I am looking for batteries. It is a 216 volt system and I
understand that it draws about 40-50 amps while being driven about 50 MPH
on
a level road.
It originally came with 36 200 ah lead acid or Ni-Cds depending on when it
was made. I am looking for a source of Ni-Cds.

I would check with the EV list. Those normally used the SAFT ST5-180 type batteries. Much bigger AH than the BB600's, but very hard to find.

ev lists sjsu edu

Any NiCD technology will need watering. There are special watering caps and plumbing for the ST5M series batteries, nothing out there for the BB600's (which is another problem with the truck, removing 250 caps, watering 250 batteries, and putting the caps on is a 14 carat pain in the rear)

Chris