Re: (ET) Batteries wiring with ring terminals

Original was 6 awg. 4awg makes a nice upgrade, especially for heavy duty users (tiller, snow throwers etc). 0 awg would be overkill.

I'm partial to welding cable as much more flexible and easy to work with. "Battery cable" cable is stiffer. And house wiring (THHN etc) is very stiff and hard to work with IMHO, plus the outer layer of clear coating may peel off over time in the battery acid environment.

At least for automotive posts, I've seen "universal" clamp on cable ends, which I think are a poor choice. The strands of wire are left exposed and will corrode. Not sure I've seen such a set-up for ring terminals.

I prefer cast crimp-on connectors, where the end of the barrel is closed. Adding a bit of heat shrink tubing (with internal adhesive) bridges the gap from where the cable insulation was cut off to where the barrel starts, so all the strands of wires are totally sealed.

I prefer to crimp, or crimp and solder so that there is a good mechanical connection to start. If just solder, run a risk that if anything goes wrong (such as a loose bolt connection to the battery) and things start to heat up, the solder will melt and then the cable can slip out some and things just get worse even faster.

Quick cable does make some compression type connectors, both ring terminal and automotive post style. Similar to compression fittings in plumbing. These are spendy but very nice for field repairs with only a wrench to tighten them. Add a piece of heat shrink, and the wire strands are totally sealed.

Using an ring terminal on a post (G or L) with a through bolt provides a good connection as it keeps the lead in compression rather than a stud that can get pulled out. I've done fine with ordinary split lock washers.

If doing a controller upgrade and new batteries, I'd also put in a new main disconnect switch. Along the way, I'd use a new cable from the top battery to the disconnect switch - this takes care of one of the 4 "built in" cables that you need to change the ends on. ie then only have 3 cable ends to replace.

And while your at it, make sure the bundle of cables under the frame is securely tied to the frame so as not to rub against the belt and/or pulley.

Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*
http://www.ElectricTractorStore.com

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/

steven1955 comcast net wrote:

1.  What size cable?  (I have heard size 0.)
2. Can I use a bolt on ring terminal? (I don't have access to a heavy duty crimper.) If so, what type will handle the current? (This would be for the four cable connections where the cables go into the tractor chassis, not for the battery to battery cables where I will buy pre made cables.) 3. Should I use belleville washers to help maintain bolt clamp force? If so, is there a particular washer someone has used?