Sent: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 10:46 AM
Subject: (ET) Batteries wiring with ring terminals

Hi folks,

A while back I posted how my old Trojan T105s were cooked by overcharging due to a charger timer failure.  I had a very little luck bringing the batteries back to life, so I shopped for a bargain in replacement batteries.

I was able to score 6 new East Penn GC15s "blems" with "G" style posts for $40 apiece by going directly to East Penn in Yeadon, Pennsylvania.  I was told that their "G" combination posts were good for both ring terminals and automotive style cables, but the automotive clamps really don't fit properly, at least not the way I would like.  (The "G" style post has a through hole and is supplied with a 5/16 stainless steel bolt, not a cast in stud.)  These were not really blems, but East Penn is changing the design of the G style post, and these are the old style, and they want them gone.

So I have decided to convert the tractor to ring terminal cables.  And I have some questions for folks who have successful ring terminal cable installations.

1.  What size cable?  (I have heard size 0.)
2.  Can I use a bolt on ring terminal?  (I don't have access to a heavy duty crimper.)  If so, what type will handle the current?  (This would be for the four cable connections where the cables go into the tractor chassis, not for the battery to battery cables where I will buy pre made cables.)
3.  Should I use belleville washers to help maintain bolt clamp force?  If so, is there a particular washer someone has used?

Thanks,

Steve N.