Re: (ET) FW: Fully charged pack voltage

On 28 Aug 2009 at 23:29, harry landis wrote:

> With sufficient rest and stable temperature, voltage measurements
> provide an amazingly accurate SoC estimation for lead acid batteries.

Sorry, as posted earlier, I disagree.  In support of this position I quote
here the flat statement of electrochemist Nawaz Qureshi, Vice President of
Engineering, US Battery Mfg Co : "Voltage is not an accurate indicator of
state of charge (SOC)."

I'm not an electrochemist myself, but I think the problems with sensing
SOC
with voltage are that :

1. Fully-charged voltage varies with the battery's design;

2. Fully-charged voltage varies with the battery's age;

3. Fully-charged voltage varies with the battery's temperature; and

4. The difference between fully charged OC voltage and flat OC voltage is
fairly small, less than half a volt for a 6 volt battery, so a small error
in measurement creates a significant error in SOC reporting.

SG is still the most reliable measurement.

Alas, I don't know of any chargers which sample the electrolyte's SG.  So,
many smart chargers use _on-charge_ voltage, compensated for battery
internal temperature and combined with charge current sensing.  This is a
convenient and relatively easy way to estimate state of charge while
charging, to control a charge algorithm.  A seldom used improvement on
this
algorithm takes battery age into account, since the peak on-charge voltage
usually falls as a battery ages (but see below).

Some other charge control schemes have been tried with varying degrees of
success.  For example, the term "valve regulated" for semi-sealed
batteries
is a leftover from a scheme which used the gassing pressure of a closed
cell
to regulate the charge.

One rather good charge control scheme counts the amp hours withdrawn from
the battery in use.  When charging it replaces those amp hours, plus a
percentage for charge efficiency.  This scheme is often combined with some
kind of voltage and current sensing as a way to improve confidence in its
accuracy.  I think this is (or at least once was) the way most laptop
computers charge their lithium batteries.  Someone please correct me if
that's wrong.

Dv/dt is a fairly elegant algorithm, a variant on voltage sensing (dv/dt
==
derivative of voltage with respect to time).  Instead of calculating and
waiting for for perfect "I'm full" magic voltage and current numbers, this
approach watches the voltage rise as the battery charges, relying on the
fact that the voltage rise normally flattens at the "full" point.  Dv/dt
automatically compensates for temperature and battery age.  It usually
includes a minimum voltage to avoid terminating early on a long, slow
charge, and also detection of inverse dv/dt (thermal runaway protection).
think Lester Electrical may still hold the patent on dv/dt.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA