Re: (ET) Where is the elec-trak wikipedia page?

On 10 Jul 2009 at 11:33, Charlie wrote:

> Wikipedia no longer has room for personal knowledge (which is where the
> real expertise on Elec-traks is) ...

As I see it, the web has room for everyone.  As long as you don't violate
your web hosting company's AUP, you can make a web page and the search
engines will index it.  While making a fancy page requires some skill and
experience, you can learn enough static html to to a simple page in a day
or
two.  There are also various website generators available, as computer
software, and I think on the web too, though I've never used them.

There are still "free" (ad-supported) webservers, but between the ads and
the stringent bandwidth limitations, most of them seem pretty abominable.

Low-end commercial shared hosting isn't too expensive, around $3-5 per
month.  If you don't care about some features (such as an email server)
see
nearlyfreespeech.net for a still cheaper alternative.

You might also consider blogger.com and similar operations, most of which
are free (ad-supported).

I don't know about anyone else here, but when I find something in
Wikipedia
it's usually because a search engine dug it up for me.

So if you have an ET story to tell, I say forget Wikipedia, and put it on
the web.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA