Re: (ET) Wood Chipper Conversion

On 21 Jun 2009 at 11:16, Barry wrote:

> An AC powered chipper is way underpowered and if you use an
> extension cord it becomes more useless.

The little imported ones that the catalogs and Harbor Fright sell are
pretty
useless for any kind of real work.  They usually have grossly inflated
claims of power and capacity.  These are good for shredding a few leaves
and
twigs, and that's about all.

I have a big US-made Flowtron that's surprisingly gutsy (and noisy enough
that I wear hearing protectors).  The only downside is that I have to take
it apart and sharpen the blade about once a year.  Alas, I don't think
it's
made any more.

If I had to replace it today, I'd probably go for a Patriot.

http://www.patriot-products-inc.com/products.htm#eleccsv

http://www.amazon.com/Horsepower-Electric-Wood-Chipper-
Shredder/dp/B000GLWWW2

It isn't cheap by any means, but it appears to be at least as well made as
my Flowtron, and should last a long time.

OTOH if you're converting you can use an even more powerful DC motor with
lots of torque.  If you want to run the machine on 120v AC you're pretty
much limited to 12 amps (15a circuit) or 16 amps (20a circuit).  So your
realistic continuous power is about 1.5 to 1.9 hp.  You can double that
for
a 20a 240 volt circuit, so about 4hp.

But with a DC motor it's down to what the battery can produce (and the
motor
can sustain).  A 36 volt golf car pack like the ET's can easily produce
around 11 hp without breaking a sweat (though not for long; only for maybe
half hour if used at full power the whole time).

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA