Re: (ET) Wood Chipper Conversion

I was thinking series, but I was thinking wrong... I got 'em backward.

SteveS, is the motor on your chipper an ET snowthrower motor?

-M

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 9:31 PM, Christopher Zach <cz alembic crystel com> wrote:
Max Hall wrote:
A great attribute of the series-wound motors that we use on our ET accessories is that, in general terms: the voltage "makes" the motor go a certain speed, and it draws whatever current it needs to go that speed; the current is proportional to load... right up to the limit of batteries' ability to deliver current.

Just checking: Are you thinking series or shunt motor? The motor on the ET itself is shunt; it will do anything to maintain it's speed which is what makes it so great for a tractor: It will haul up hills, then regen going down to keep the speed constant.

Actually it is a shunt motor with a small series field. This is to keep the motor from blowing up if the field windings drop out and to strengthen the motor field (adding torque) when you're really loading it down.

The snowblower is a series motor with a shunt winding IIRC. More power, but it will bog down in heavy ice. Which might be a good thing; you don't want it to rip the chain apart trying to keep the speed constant.

Chris