Re: (ET) Wood Chipper Conversion

A great attribute of the series-wound motors that we use on our ET accessories is that, in general terms: the voltage "makes" the motor go a certain speed, and it draws whatever current it needs to go that speed; the current is proportional to load... right up to the limit of batteries' ability to deliver current.

So: using a chain and sprockets, or pulleys and a belt, or whatever, to make the motor's 36v speed turn the chipper/shredder's wheel/flywheel/flail at an effective speed.... the motor will draw what it needs to keep it going at that speed. Noting, of course, that if you keep shoving 3" branches in endlessley will keep the current draw very high. A constant resistance shunt in series with the chipper's motor (or, I suppose, the current meter on the ET's dash) would be a good idea so you can let all of us at keyboards know how much current it *does* take to run a chipper/shredder so we can learn from your... ahhh... inevitable success.

I expect that since a "5hp" ICE running a chipper/shredder only delivers the nominal 5hp under greatest load, and that a 5hp ICE is more like a 3hp electric, that a nominal 2hp electric motor will, as SteveS experiences, do the job fine for average load, and be able to deliver 3hp or more for short intervals.

2hp at 36v implies a current of about 40A, and a true 3hp at 36v takes a little more than 60 A ... certainly in the neighborhood of my favorite PTO-driven accessory, the snowthrower. I think this is in the neighborhood of what an ET can deliver with healthy batts.

Love them tractiz.

-Max