Re: (ET) Ariens AMP Mower

       But they used a mechanical transaxle, NOT a hydrostat.The presence of the fan on the hydrostat  should clue one in as to what is happening to a large portion of the mechanical energy being fed into it.Again, not being an engineer of any type, it doesn't make sense to me to use a drive system that is notoriously inefficient in a device that has it's hands tied behind it's back so to speak when it comes to the amount of energy onboard.
      And unless the technology has vastly improved into the 21st Century, hydrostats require far more maintenance to obtain the level of durability achieved by the gearboxes (that only a Luddite like me could love) that GE employed.

           I have to give the Ariens folks credit for having the courage to launch a new , obviously not mainstream product given the current { Yes, PUN.} economic climate.

RJ

David Roden wrote:
On 13 May 2009 at 15:08, RJ Kanary wrote:

Somehow GE managed NOT to use them. :)

>From what I can tell, the ER8-36 (and I think also the E8 and E10) were
straightforward conversions of gas equivalents.  They even ran the motor
continuously at a fixed speed, using a multispeed transmission and clutch.
Ugh.

At least they gave the mower its own motors.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA