Re: (ET) Ariens AMP Mower

I have found long strings of AGM batteries are impossible to charge in series for long life. The common practice of overcharging AGM batteries like flooded batteries just does not work well in practice. Even with the most advanced BMS you over charging the good batteries to bring up the lower ones. I am not a fan of regulators they bring in another whole set of issues. Individual 12 volt chargers or Lee Harts balancer would be a better way to go. Even better would be properly sized gel batteries if used in series with one charger.

I totally agree with you a single string of 4 sized batteries would be better. The good point about AGM batteries is they hold a charge for a very long time and can also be bulk charged fast. For batteries that sit around for 6 months of the year AGMs do that well. That would help their life expectancy but using 20 AGMs is just a bad idea. In a couple of years the batteries would start failing unless they buy the very best AGMs. Quality AGM batteries are very expensive and I too doubt they are going to spend that kind of money.  20 AGM batteries is not the way to go unless you don't care they are going to fail early.

In a few years one would have to deal with replacing batteries. I agree with totally this is the kind of thing that in the end makes anything battery power have a bad image.