Re: (ET) charger problem

On 13 May 2009 at 0:08, paul mitchell2007 comcast net wrote:

> Battery B2 was actually in backwards.

Every time you've used the tractor, you've been overcharging that battery
as
the other batteries forced current through it backward.  When you charged
the rest of the pack, you were actually DIScharging that battery.  We call
that "battricide"  -- battery murder in the first degree!

Actually, you're lucky that battery didn't erupt in steam or explode.  With
sufficient load that can certainly happen when a battery is connected
backward.

Disconnect it.  Check the specific gravity.  Give it a proper charge with a
6 volt garage charger.  Then give it a capacity test to see what kind of
shape it's in.  If it can manage 80% to 90% of its rated capacity, put it
back in the pack (the right way this time) and see how much life you can
get
out of it.  Most likely it'll be the first to go, but you never know.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA