Re: (ET) charger problem

Did you get a chance to check the individual battery voltages?

Either there was a typo in your previous list, or something is very wrong with battery B2:
> B5 to B6: 12.66v
> B5 to B4: 18.98v
> B5 to B3: 25.32v
> B5 to B2: 31.66v
> B5 to B1: 31.66v

The other numbers are about what I'd expect for 2, 3, 4 and 5 batteries. But B5 to B2 should be all six batteries, for 36 volts (nominal) total. Should see around 38 volts across all 6 given what the other 5 show.

If you have a bad battery, that could be making everything else work harder and get hotter than usual. And taken to an extreme can make the bad battery spew steaming acid. Yuck.

If the 6th battery is OK, then some really bad/corroded connections somewhere? Or a bad main disconnect switch? Where were you measuring the 32 volts?

Once get the voltage up to where it belongs, then can worry about the power use gauge being in the red... it may be fixed by getting the proper system voltage, or may be the shut connections are bad, or maybe the meter is off. But batteries/voltage first.

paul mitchell2007 comcast net wrote:
So I chargerd up my E12 and mowed my lawn this afternoon (less than 1/2 acre). The batteries are brand new and after charging all night on the 1-2 year setting, the charge of the power pack read 32 volts. Any thoughts why it would be so low? While charging, it was reading upwards of 38v.

After mowing, the solenoids are very hot, so I'm going to let it all cool down before recharging. Is it normal for these to get hot? Also, I followed the instructions in the manual and tried mowing in D1 and in D2 with the throttle all the way forward. It didn't seem to matter where I placed the throttle...the power use guage was in the red the entire time the PTO was on.

Thoughts?

Paul

--
Jim Coate
*The Electric Tractor Store*

NOTE: Mail sent to the "NO_REPLY" address will *not* reach me.
To send me a private message, please follow the directions here:
http://www.coate.org/contact_jim/