Re: (ET) Golf cart batteries

On 14 Jan 2009 at 12:48, Marcus wrote:

> an idle lead acid battery tends to sulfate while inactive. The sulphur
> in the electrolite comes out of solution and deposits on the plates.

I'm not so sure I agree with this.  The sulphur ions in the electrolyte's
sulfuric acid do indeed combine chemically with the lead in the plates to
form lead sulfate, but this is part of the normal chemical reaction when a
battery is discharged.  No discharge, no sulfation.

It's true that a lead battery will self discharge a bit.  That might be
what
you're thinking of here -- but in a good, well maintained battery, this
effect is pretty minimal and fairly slow.

Sulfation (as the term is generally used) is in fact a relatively rare
condition, much less common than the purveyors of magic snake oil
additives
and blinking gadgets would have you believe.  It's triggered by chronic
undercharging, or allowing a discharged battery to sit for long periods of
time (typically weeks).  The lead sulfate tends to form large crystals
which
resist being reconverted to lead and sulfuric acid.  After a while these
crystals flake off the grids and fall to the bottom of the cell.

This condition is not reversible, no matter what the salesmen tell you.
But
all you have to do to prevent it is fully charge the battery when it needs
it. Sulfation is almost never a problem for a battery which is promptly
and
properly charged.

To get to your specific situation, the best treatment for idle batteries
is
to disconnect them from the vehicle if possible, clean them well, and
store
them in a cool, dry place.  There's no validity to the old myth that
batteries left on a concrete floor will discharge, BTW.

Test them with a hydrometer every month or two and if it shows less than
about 80% charged, charge them with a good quality charger, preferably an
automatic one.

When you start using the batteries again, don't expect them to perform at
full capacity until they've had several cycles of use.  Like humans,
batteries stay in shape best when they're exercised regularly.  So I agree
with Marcus that it'd be ideal to have someone use the vehicle now and
then
in your absence.

Battery maintainers are useful for batteries which have a small continuous
load while idle, such as ICE starting batteries (the computers and gadgets
in modern cars can discharge a battery in a month or two).  I suppose one
might also be useful if you neglect your batteries and never clean them --
batteries CAN  discharge across damp, dirty tops.  Where there are no
parasitic loads, though, maintainers generally do more harm than good.

For future reference, the best (lead) batteries for EVs that sit idle for
long periods are gel and AGM types.  They stay cleaner and thus need less
fussing during storage.  They also have even lower self-discharge than
flooded batteries.  I have several gel batteries that sit for months at a
time, with no detectable loss of charge.