To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Wednesday, November 12, 2008 8:49 AM
Subject: (ET) power disconnect switch

Not to spoil anyone's replacement disconnect business, I have had good luck repairing the disconnect switch. Water and then corrosion cause the spring loaded copper disk to hang on the shaft causing intermittent operation.

You need to disassemble the switch (take a picture of it before you start) and clean all the parts, make sure you get the springs right when you reassemble (look at your picture). Lightly sand the disk, contacts and shaft if needed "less sanding is better than more" turn the disk over and use the other side if sanding will not work. A small amount of grease on the shaft will help the disk to move, careful not to get any grease on the disk or contacts. There is a little pin that rides on the cam that makes the detents. If that pin is bent the switch will not work correctly, straighten or replace.

There is a right way and wrong way to put it back in the tractor, make sure when you are done the off position is down from the operator's position with the handle toward you. In an emergency you what to just slap the handle down to cut the power. Never force the handle that is how the pin gets bent.

The switch is not a bad design and it seems to be made to take apart and fix. Most devices today can not be repaired just replaced.

Try it you have nothing to lose.

  Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen

Indiana University, UITS, Networks