Re: (ET) power disconnect switch

I've had similar results with repairing them............they just didn't last long enough AFTER the repair.The ultimate failure mode appeared as the insulating washer and bushing that isolated the copper disc gave up the ghost.After having that happen on two different ones, I decided to throw in the towel. :(

RJ

Hazen, Dwight L wrote:
 Not to spoil anyone's replacement disconnect business, I have had good
luck repairing the disconnect switch. Water and then corrosion cause the
spring loaded copper disk to hang on the shaft causing intermittent
operation.

 You need to disassemble the switch (take a picture of it before you start) and
clean all the parts, make sure you get the springs right when you reassemble (look
at your picture). Lightly sand the disk, contacts and shaft if needed "less
sanding is better than more" turn the disk over and use the other side if
sanding will not work. A small amount of grease on the shaft will help the disk to
move, careful not to get any grease on the disk or contacts. There is a little pin
that rides on the cam that makes the detents. If that pin is bent the switch will
not work correctly, straighten or replace.

 There is a right way and wrong way to put it back in the tractor, make
sure when you are done the off position is down from the operator's
position with the handle toward you. In an emergency you what to just slap
the handle down to cut the power. Never force the handle that is how the
pin gets bent.

 The switch is not a bad design and it seems to be made to take apart and
fix. Most devices today can not be repaired just replaced.

 Try it you have nothing to lose.

   Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen

Indiana University, UITS, Networks