Re: (ET) Recommendations for modern replacements for the electronics?

On 2 Jul 2008 at 12:57, Fred Walter wrote:

> I'm looking for a battery pack charger, that will go into a maintenance
> mode when the battery pack is fully charged (so I can leave it plugged
> in all the time).

The simplest and cheapest is a used automatic 36 volt golf car charger.
Lester Lestronic range chargers are highly regarded.

No charger should be left connected all the time, no matter what the
manufacturer says.  Pull the plug when the battery is charged.  Battery
maintainers usually do more harm than good.  Self-discharge is not that
high
on golf car batteries and they can sit for a few months uncharged with no
harm.

> I'd prefer one that will also try to desulphate batteries.

EVERY battery charger is a desultator.  That's how a battery charges.

The gadgets that mutter claims about "crystal resonance" are snake oil.
If
they work, it's because they charge the battery!  A good charger, used
similarly, would work just as well.  Pay no attention to the man behind
the
curtain.

> I have a welder's power outlet available to me for charging (220VAC) if
> that would help speed up the charging process with a different charger.

A Lester charger will need a 240 volt, 20 amp receptacle.

> What motor controllers people are recommending? I've seen mention of
> Alltrax, but not the model that was being used. Where can one get the
> best price for one? (Keeping in mind that I'm in Canada.)

The Alltrax is a DCX300-ET.  It's not listed on their website.  Call them
for information.

Alltrax is located in Grants Pass, Oregon.  They have a dealer locator on
their website.

> Any other recommendations when it comes to replacing or adding to the
> electronics on my electric tractors?

1.  DO IT!  You won't regret the change.  MUCH less hassle, in my
experience.  I have an Alltrax and I'm very pleased with it.

2. The Alltrax works well, but is really designed for the E15.  I don't
know
how it will perform with other GE models; the motors are different.  Also,
the instructions (while fairly easy to follow) are aimed at an E15.

3. If you're reasonably handy with electronics, you might also consider a
4QD controller (from England).  They're really designed for PM motors, but
if the ET's motor's field is energized just before you apply armature
power,
it acts almost like a PM motor.  4QD make controllers with brake control
output.  You can use that to pull in a relay that will power the field.
If
I were converting another ET, I might try this just for fun.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA