Re: (ET) New Member

I just wanted to chime in with some thoughts on this issue.
My batteries (old T-105s) are pretty weak, but I'm not planning on getting new lead-acid batteries, since there *should* be some significantly improved Li-ion battery technologies coming onto the market over the next few years - which would be great not only for full electric vehicles, but also for ETs. By moving away from the lithium cobalt oxide cathodes (Co is very expensive (and somewhat toxic)), the cost can come down a fair amount. The most appealing replacement choice currently is doped lithium iron phosphate. The big improvement though comes from using solid electrolytes (either plastics or preferably lithium sulfide glasses), which can reduce the internal resistance (allowing rapid recharging), and eliminate the problems of both electrodes reacting with the current liquid electrolytes, the primary reason current Li-ion batteries generally only last a few years (so the new ones should last much longer). So - lower cost (no Co), low internal resistance (high efficiency and rapid recharge), long lifetime, and much better safety (it is the liquid electrolyte that presents the fire hazard in current Li-ion batteries).

Mike

--

Michael S. Briggs, PhD
UNH Physics Department