Re: (ET) Bill Gunn's Elec-Trak parts

Jim, a million thanks for stepping forward on this.  It's a welcome return
and a big job for you.

I remember some of the wailing and gnashing of teeth ;-) that used to take
place here in the old days when Bill Gunn would threaten (yet again) to
give
up the business.  It was almost anticlimactic when he finally did hang up
his hat for the last time.  And despite all the concern, others stepped in
to maintain a steady flow of most spares for the ETs.  With your
"emulation"
of Bill, including his ability to commission the manufacture of new
spares,
the ET community will be in better shape than ever!

It would also be most welcome if we could have a few of the civilized
niceties that Bill Gunn always eschewed.  A website with photos,
specifications, tips, and installation instructions; online ordering;
credit
card acceptance - all would be greatly appreciated.  I sort of understand
Bill's reluctance, particularly since a lot of the easy-to-use web sales
and
site-generation tools that we have now weren't available then.  Still, I'm
sure he lost at least some sales because every customer had to mail him a
letter with a check or money order.

I confess that there was at least one time that I called Bill for a price
and then rounded up a used item instead, not because he was too expensive,
but because ordering from Bill was just too much hassle for one small
item.
(OTOH, when I did order from him, I usually bought a bunch of extra stuff
didn't need at that moment, just to make it worth placing an order.  Maybe
he was on to something. ;-)

I don't think you really need to do the kind of one on one user support
that
surely contributed to Bill Gunn's eventual burnout.  Just direct people
who
need help to this list.  Over a period of months you'll also begin to hear
of certain common issues, and can then launch a FAQ or help database on
your
website.

Thanks again for your initiative on this project!

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA