Re: (ET) FW: Diodes

At 02:37 PM 6/3/2008 -0400, RJ Kanary wrote:
Will there be enough forward voltage drop to prevent proper charging of this battery? {Playing devil's advocate here.<G> }

RJ

Tim Humphrey wrote:
From radio shack pick up Catalog #: 276-1144; which is a two pack of 1N5404 3 amp diodes.

Wire both of these together in parallel in the negative (black) lead with the band pointing towards the car side. Or in the positive (red) lead with the band pointing towards the batt pack.

Let me add diodes don't parallel well. The diodes won't have exactly the same forward drop so the one with the lower drop will take most of the current, it will heat up more than its companion and as a result it will carry more current. Repeat until diode fails. Diodes tend to fail short before fusing so there is a good chance you could end up with one diode as a short and the other out of circuit.

Now to the power considerations. If the two diodes were to share then at 2.5A each you get about a 0.9V drop or about 2W. At a thermal resistance of 20 C/W that gives a 40C temperature rise at the junction. That diode is going to be a bit warm. On the plus side you may drop the voltage enough that you won't get anywhere near that load current.

Robert

http://www.aeolusdevelopment.com/

From the Divided by a Common Language File (Edited to protect the guilty)
ME - "I'd like to get Price and delivery for connector Part # XXXXX"
Dist./Rep - "$X.XX Lead time 37 days"
ME - "Anything we can do about lead time?  37 days seems a bit high."
Dist./Rep - "that is the lead time given because our stock is live.... we currently have stock."