Re: (ET) Drive belt slipping?

And one more way.  Loosen the two rear motor mounts just a bit.  Loosen the two front motor mounts a lot.  Use a pry bar or stout wood stick and force the motor forward while tightening the rear mounts.  The belts will not be tight enough but you no longer need the pry bar.  Tighten the front mounts and you can almost see the belts snug-up.  I believe they should deflect 1/4" for best performance.
Jack

On May 16, 2008, at 8:21 PM, Tim wrote:
Is there an easy way to tighten the belt?  I have an E20 with a squealing belt.  Thanks.

Nick Skinner wrote:
Have you retensioned the belts since you installed them?  It is normal for
belts to stretch in use so that may be a cause.  Slipping belts tend to
squeal though.  If you're not hearing squealing, then I would look to
something else for the problem.  If they are slipping, try to avoid using
belt dressing.  It's only a band-aid solution.

Nick

----- Original Message -----
From: "tbamc" <tbamc gbta net>
To: <elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu>
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 4:44 AM
Subject: (ET) Drive belt slipping?

Have started mowing this year and noticed that particularly in reverse
but occasionally in higher forward gears, the mower pauses a couple of
beats before moving.  Mostly level lawn, but does seem to be worse when
trying to start on an incline.

I think I put a new drive belt on last year.  Is this likely to be the
belt slipping?

Thanks!

Thon
E12M