Re: (ET) ET Charges for Pennys a Day

here's some pictures of the inside of a kill-a-watt taken by someone who was curious how they could be made so cheaply...

http://cafeelectric.com/killawatt/index.php

http://cafeelectric.com/killawatt/index.php

dave

David Roden wrote:
On 23 Feb 2008 at 19:47, Raymon R. Ellis wrote:

my Kill-A-Watt drops out whenever the current
supply is interrupted even very briefly.

I wonder if you could add a nice big electrolytic capacitor across the
output of the logic supply section, to provide a few seconds of stored
energy.  The KaW is a very cheap Made-in-China mass market device, and you
can bet its power supply filtering is the very minimum required.

There may not be room inside for any hacks, however.  I've never opened one
up.

I'd expect there to be more room inside a better quality (and larger) unit,
such as the Brand Power Meter.  The Brand might even have a bit of power
blip protection built into it already, though I don't know for sure.  Of
course it costs a fair bit more; the simplest model is $150.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA