Re: (ET) More Power Inverters

Amen David! In 1998, we had a major ice storm in upstate NY, Ontario, Quebec and New England. Folks went without power a long time, and there was a run on small (5kw and less) generator sets at the big box improvement stores.

Then the accidents happened. Because most folks did not have a proper transfer switch, they tried "cobbled up" solutions. Several died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Why? Unbelievably, they were running the generator inside the home since they were using a web of extension cords to run appliances!

But more to your point, there were many who unplugged the 220 volt electric dryer, and used the dryer power cord to make an adapter to feed 220 from the generator back through the dryer circuit to the main panel so they could power both 110 legs of the house. There were frequent warnings broadcast and printed in the local papers, and I don't have any knowledge if anyone was actually hurt or killed, but there's no doubt your concerns are well founded.

I have a generator at home, and I have a second sub-panel that (1) has an "either/or" utility company lockout and (2) contains only the essential circuits to keep us in warmth, water, refrigeration, and a few lights. This is connected to the generator from a socket box on the outside of the house. Just wheel the generator out, plug it in, fire it up, and flip one switch. My wife has done it with no problem. The extension cord from the generator to the house is a male-female to avoid the "fry the grandkids" scenario you described. When utility power is restored, the non-generator powered lights come on, telling you its tile to shut down the generator.

I believe all the parts, wire, etc. cost me about $200, and as you say, its cheap insurance against an accident.

At 11:56 AM 12/12/2007, David Roden wrote:
On 12 Dec 2007 at 8:54, Mike Wallace wrote:

> I just pull the main fuse block in my panel
> box, unplug the air compressor and then plug the output of the generator into
> that same outdoor receptacle and feed my power back into the house's
panel
> box.  No fancy and expensive automatic switching/disconnect system, but
no
> danger to power company crews working on the lines either.

Sorry, I have to mention that this procedure is illegal and dangerous.  I
don't think it's a good idea to promote it in a public place, such as a
listserve that's archived on the open web.

You may never electrocute a lineman or blow up your generator, but the
potential is there.  A little too tired, distracted, or intoxicated, and
you
can slip up or forget a step.  Trying to talk the spousal unit through the
process on the cell phone, again there is a risk of missing something.

There's also the hazard of having a cord with two male ends hanging around
the house.  I hope you don't have any little kids.

A transfer switch can be as simple as a $100 (less on Ebay) Square D
lockout
panel for the backup loads.  It pretty much guarantees that you'll never
hurt anyone with your backup power system.  Cheap insurance, IMO.

The ET can be very useful for backup power, but I'd hate to see anyone
killed as a result of using it for that purpose.

End of sermon.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Weighing in at 2 1/2 tons and representing the USA ...

                -- Ad for a Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck