Re: (ET) More Power Inverters

On 12 Dec 2007 at 8:54, Mike Wallace wrote:

> I just pull the main fuse block in my panel
> box, unplug the air compressor and then plug the output of the generator
> into
> that same outdoor receptacle and feed my power back into the house's
> panel
> box.  No fancy and expensive automatic switching/disconnect system, but
> no
> danger to power company crews working on the lines either.

Sorry, I have to mention that this procedure is illegal and dangerous.  I
don't think it's a good idea to promote it in a public place, such as a
listserve that's archived on the open web.

You may never electrocute a lineman or blow up your generator, but the
potential is there.  A little too tired, distracted, or intoxicated, and
you
can slip up or forget a step.  Trying to talk the spousal unit through the
process on the cell phone, again there is a risk of missing something.

There's also the hazard of having a cord with two male ends hanging around
the house.  I hope you don't have any little kids.

A transfer switch can be as simple as a $100 (less on Ebay) Square D
lockout
panel for the backup loads.  It pretty much guarantees that you'll never
hurt anyone with your backup power system.  Cheap insurance, IMO.

The ET can be very useful for backup power, but I'd hate to see anyone
killed as a result of using it for that purpose.

End of sermon.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Weighing in at 2 1/2 tons and representing the USA ...

                -- Ad for a Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck