Re: (ET) Dead E-15

Right - there should be no electrical connections to chassis. There are a few common places that it can occur, over time with wear and tear; the mower deck, the wires going past the drive pulley, the lift motor ( I think), where else?

If it only happens in one place it's generally not too big a deal, but if you get two --- strange things start to happen, so it's good to check for chassis connections every now and then and fix them. I guess since most voltmeters today are very sensitive we should also differentiate between high and low resistance chassis 'shorts'. A high resistance 'short' could be some carbon dust in the motor and won't cause a big problem, but a real short (like a pinched wire) is a problem. A 36V light bulb would handy to gauge the problem.

- SteveS

Pieter Litchfield wrote:
I am under the impression that there is NO chassis ground. If you can measure a voltage to the chassis, you have a problem somewhere. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm off base (not unusual)