(ET) Why lead acid batteries need high current charge.

Hi all,

David has mentioned that lead acid batteries (occassionally) need a high current charge. I have come accross an explanation on why this is the case that I find reasonable and from a trustworthy source. The original author is Dr. E. Meissner of Varta Battery Research and Development (part of the Exide group). The original article is referenced here http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1835178
.
I will try to put what I understood into simple terms here:

The lead oxide electrode used in (flooded?) lead acid batteries is must have a large surface area to provide a high electrical potential. The outside parts of the electrode can be seen as balls. These balls are connected to eachother. The stronger these connections are the lower the internal resistance of the battery and the higher current
it can deliver.

Now when a battery is discharged with a low current the lead from the outer balls is dissolved and when charged with a low current then the lead settles on the outer balls
again. The connections remain the way they were originally and all is fine.

When discharged with a high current the connections between the balls are also dissolved or weakened. When charged again with a low current the connections are not rebuild but only the balls. Hence we end up with a heap of (larger) balls that is connected to each other with higher resistance connections than they were originally. Also if the connections were dissolved completely then they may not be rebuilt leading to less (but larger) balls which
in turn results in a smaller surface area of the electrode.

When charged with a large current however the connections are also rebuilt. Hence lead acid batteries should be charged with about the same current as they are discharged. The ET discharges the batteries with typically 25 to 125A, the built in charger provides about 25A max. . In part because of this fork lift batteries have chargers that pump the electrodes with 50 - 200A into the batteries (another reason is the reduced time).

The good thing about this is that the condition of a deformed electrode can be reversed with appropriate charging. Other people say they had very good results with discharging their batteries at a low rate to 5.25V per 6V block and then charging them with a high current.
Doing this may bring back some of the capacity.

I had done this on my tractor to some old batteries I got for free by letting the motor run with no gear engaged for quite some time. (cruise control). And then charge it with the built in charge plus and additional 10A charger to pump as much current in there as I could. I cant say how much it helped and how much just the simple exercise of discharging and charging helped. For my electric car I have a 40A charger, which is also not as much as I would like it to be.. Some day I will get my hands on an old 100A charger from a fork lift or so.

I also don't know and havent found literature that discusses if and how this applies to valve
regulated and gel cells.

Take care and happy trakking.

Markus