(ET) E-10 transmission problems

Just when I thought I finished restoring the tractor from Hell, something else goes wrong and I think I'm out of my league on this one.

Last year, a friend Al, brought his E-10M for me to work on. The motor was shot and the batteries were flat so I installed a new motor, new batteries, Landis Controller, replaced the charger wiring harness which some critters ate through, repaired the steering which was really loose, installed a new belt and sharpened the blades. I test rode it this past month with no problems and mowed my lawn four times with it. I did notice it was a bit on the noisy side and hoped it wasn't the new motor I installed but overall it was working great for me here before turning it over to Al.

But when Al took it home this weekend to mow his property he said the reverse gear locked up on him just as he was finishing his lawn with it. He said the rear wheels locked up as well and he had to winch it up on the trailer to bring it back to my place because the rear wheels wouldn't budge. He said he released the brake and it was still locked up.

When he arrived I took a look at it on the trailer and the rear wheels were moving free, so something must have broke free on the trip back here and we were able to roll it off the trailer.

But when I tried running it, the tractor seems to be making alot of noise, like chains dragging on the concrete. In neutral it sounds terrible and it sounds like something is spinning and slowing down. When I put it in reverse it creeps forward very slowly instead of moving in reverse. Eventually after shifting the gears around it seems to catch and do OK but then it gets sluggish again and reverse seems like its completely gone.

Something is messed up and I can't figure out what the cause is or I'm denying that the transmission is shot since this looks like a major job. I have no idea what's involved in repairing or replacing a transmission. I told Al, transmissions are something I know nothing about.

I just can't seem to get this tractor out my garage. It's been one thing after another. And I need to figure out what is wrong with my E-8 since that broke down last year and I haven't had time to figure that one out.

What do you all think is the problem?

Thanks

Chip Gribben