Re: (ET) batteries

Hmm.  Not to dismiss your reference, but neither of those definitions fits
the one I'm familiar with.

As I understand pulse charging as practiced today, it involves a high peak
current applied for a brief period, followed by either a rest period or,
in
some algorithms, a brief partial discharge of the battery.  The alleged
advantage is that it provides a high initial charge current while keeping
the average current manageable.

Not being an electrochemist I don't understand why this is, but some
batteries need occasional high current charging for at least part of the
charge cycle or they lose capacity.  This is true of Hawker Genesis
batteries, for example.  Pulse charging provides this.  It's also claimed
make faster recharge possible, but I honestly don't see how - charge time
still depends on the average current.  I don't know of any other benefits,
but I may have missed some.

Apart from this, I'm skeptical about an algorithm that tries to measure
open
circuit voltage in the manner described.  The voltage will be artificially
high when the battery has just been removed from charge.  However, there
may
be some details of the algorithm that the description you quoted left out.

As for equalization, an equalizing charge could be thought of as "topping
up."  It's impossible to manufacture cells so that they have exactly the
same capacity.  A typical automatic charger will shut off when it detects
voltage or current indicative of full charge.  But when it shuts off, it's
likely that one or more cells won't be fully charged, because of these
variations.

As the battery is cycled, these cells fall further and further behind.
Eventually they can become sulfated from the undercharging.  Equalization
helps to prevent this; it forces current through the fully-charged cells
in
order to bring the less-charged cells up to an equal state of charge.
Although the overcharge isn't good for the fully charged cells, the
undercharge isn't good for the others. You try to pick the current,
voltage,
and length of the equalization, and the frequency with which it's
performed,
so that more good than harm results.

Equalization is normally a constant current charge applied with either no
voltage limit or with a rather high voltage limit, for a specified time.
I'm not aware of any benefit in fully discharging a battery before
applying
an equalizing charge, and in fact such a practice risks cell reversal and
the consequent damage.

Normally you'll perform equalization every 20 or 30 cycles, or when SG
testing shows that the cells are getting out of balance.  "Semiannually"
might apply to a battery used weekly, but I'd say that's overgeneralizing.

I guess your sources and mine just don't agree.  ;-)

I should point out that a full discharge and recharge is part of the
recommissioning procedure for nickel cadmium batteries.  But that's quite
different from equalization.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Human history more and more becomes a race between education
and catastrophe.

                  -- H G Wells