Re: (ET) batteries

On 5 May 2007 at 12:50, Nick Skinner wrote:

> In an ideal world, I suppose this would
> be done after every bulk charge.

Some charge algorithms do that, but I don't agree.  I think it leads to
too
much overcharge of the fully charged cells.  The net effect is to shorten
the battery's life.  Anybody who has a Sparrow electric car is familiar
with
this problem.

The ideal would be to measure the SOC (by SG if possible) of the
individual
cells and apply an equalization charge when the SOC varies beyond some
tolerance.  The amount of tolerance would have to be computed so as to
balance the OC damage to the more-charged cells with the UC damage to the
lower-charged cells.

The manfacturer's recommendations are (or should be) the final word on
equalization techniques, but here are some rough guides.

Experience shows that if you're using the battery every day (I'm talking
about cyclic use here, not a starting battery), once every 2-4 weeks is
about the right equalizing interval.  (US Battery recommends equalizing
once
a week if the battery is used daily.)

I use my ET about every 2-3 weeks on average, and I perform a very low
current equalization charge (0.5 amp, which is about C/170) about twice a
year.  So I'm actually equalizing about every 10 cycles.  That seems to
work
OK, but I'm not going to claim it's an ideal interval.  It's just my
(slighly informed) guess and I won't know for many years how well it's
working.  Note that I use six 12v gel batteries in series-parallel, and
normally charge them with three 12v chargers, so this may not apply to
other
more "normal" ET situations.

Equalization current depends on the battery.  A flooded battery can be
equalized at 2-4% of the capacity expressed in amps (C/50 to C/25).  Use a
constant current charger.  Charge until the voltage stops rising or until
it
reaches about 2.65 volts per cell.

A gel or AGM battery may have trouble handling that much current because
the
gassing may exceed its maximum recombination rate, so C/100 to C/50 is
better for these batteries.  Charge until the voltage stops rising or
reaches 2.5 volts per cell.

If you hear any of the pressure release valves on a VRR battery clicking
or
hissing, I say turn the charger down fast.

But not everyone agrees!  Some people will tell you that a certain amount
of
venting is necessary to get all the cells properly charged.  One person
who's articulated this argument is John Olson, who designed the Optima AGM
battery. He believes that some amount of equalization is necessary on
every
charge, and argues that without sufficient overcharge the negative
electrodes remain undercharged and sulfation results.  He says that if you
overcharge the right amount - he recommends 7% for Optimas - you get the
longest life because sulfation and water loss are balanced.  That is, the
battery dies from water loss at about the same time it would die from
sulfation.

As you can see, not all batteries are the same, and there's both science
and
art in battery maintenance.  ;-)

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885