Re: (ET) Wheelhorse and their last ET in 1983

I couldn't agree more with Jack's last sentence. You have to engineer an excellent, reliable product, while undercutting the "old technology" competition. The lower price entices non-zealot consumers to "give it a try". Also, as the Ford guy stated in the "Who Killed the Electric Car" movie, if average people perceive that the item you're selling has less capability than the competition, they (reasonably) expect to pay less for it.

The problem is that launching new technologies like these cost more, not less (at least initially). It takes a company with deep pockets, good engineers & marketers, and a long-term commitment to succeed. Witness Toyota and the Prius, now on generation two (plus the Camry & Highlander & system sales to Ford) - think they've recovered their Hybrid Synergy Drive R&D by now?? Had GM not been so schizophrenic with the EV1, they might be in a much better place in terms of marketable (maybe even profitable) "green" products today.

I also wonder if the ET was a victim of the well-established ICE sales & repair industry. Not necessarily by intent, but just by not fitting in with the usual product. Plus, no tuneups, plugs, oil, filters = less service money for the local dealer (kinda like the EV1). Maybe if a big company (Deere) made a good electric and sold thru Home Depot (appliance-like merchandise, no service dept to threaten) perhaps it would sell better. It would require a very intentional, determined advertising / education campaign. I firmly believe there is an excellent case to be made - home lawn tractors are an excellent use for electric technology - much better than cars. You're never more than your property line away from a recharge, plus no messy gas, oil, & noise - what's a suburbanite not to like?

Okay, off soapbox now. Y'all in the choir can go back to whatever more important you were doing... ;^)

Steve