Re: (ET) Dan's 2/10A charger

On 2 Nov 2006 at 12:10, Dave & Deb wrote:

> I was thinking I needed to do that with etrak as well and this
> charger wouldn't allow it... but maybe it's built into the algorithm??

Doesn't look like it is.

A charger with an IUIa or IUIUo curve MAY perform equalization on every
cycle, depending on how long the last constant current phase lasts and
what
the current limit is.  But this one is IUUo (not IUIo as I said before;
sorry) with the last phase being constant voltage float instead of
constant
current equalization.

This may not matter as much if you're using the 3 banks to charge 12v
pairs,
as long as you have your lift tap at either 12 or 24 volts, not 18 volts.
However, you can still have cell imbalance within a given battery, so
periodic equalization remains a good idea.  You could probably do that
maybe
every month or two, using a cheap manual automotive charger and keeping an
eye on things.

BTW, to explain the alphabet soup :

I = constant current phase
U = constant voltage phase
a = stop this phase and shut off when desired state is achieved*
o = continue this phase indefinitely

*Typically full charge defined as "current below x amps" or "voltage above
volts"

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Assistant Administrator