Re: (ET) Alltrax output!

On 23 Oct 2006 at 21:44, Ralph & Elaine Vogan wrote:
The Alltrex does do field weakening (in forward only).
David Roden wrote:

I was sure I recalled that it didn't.  So I went back through all my old
emails from Steve Richardson.  In one of our exchanges, I reacted to
something he'd said about the field map by saying that it didn't sound like
the Alltrax did FW.  Steve didn't counter that remark.  But in fact at that
point it was quite early in the development cycle and he didn't really know.

My apologies.  It turns out that I was wrong, and the Alltrax WILL perform
FW to increase top speed.  However, as one person pointed out, the user has
to explicitly turn that feature on; apparently, it's off by default.
I think I should explain.  Steve told me I had the first Alltrax installed in an ET.  I have never changed the
program in my unit (didn't have a laptop with XP).  The FW must have been turned on when I got the
Alltrax.  The E20 runs just as fast as the old G.E. setup.  I can tell when the FW turns on about Half
throttle by a sudden increase in current on the load meter.

I haven't done this on my Alltrax, and my E15's top speed is definitely a
bit slower than it was with the old GE control (which seldom bothers me).
In fact, I'd entirely forgotten about the "Turbo" button in the control
software.