Re: (ET) Quieter Tranny

All those bigframe trannys are basiclly identical.   I refill with 80W
gear lube into which I add a little Lucas which increases the
'stickiness' of the oil so it carries around better.  I prefer 80W over
the old 90 as I run both tractors in winter to blow and to plaow snow.
If you can't get Lucas,  the old standby STP or motor honey will do the
same thing.  This sticky stuff should be premixed with the lube before
you put it in otherwise it will just lay there stickily stuck to the
casting.  BE SURE to fill her well over (maybe 1/2") the fil plug level
as in the other email.

Drain it well it's likely got water in it if it's been that long.

Needless to say, the gear that she was previously used in the most will
be the noisiest.

Dave
Weymouth MA