Re: (ET) Source for small Ni-cads and NiMHs?

ALL nimh's have a lousy retention of charge, a superhigh self discharge
rate.  30 days seems to be max on them.   That's why portable electric
tool  manufacturers switched out of the new 'miracle technology' nimh's
back to Nicads (and BTW the newer nicads seem to have solved the genre's
great drawback - memory).
I get my AAA nicads from Harbor Freight. Pretty cheap. So far they've
been good.  But due to their lower E are not so good in digital cameras.
They actually play longer on the CD walkman than freshly charged NIMHs.
Phooey on hype and printed specifications.

As to both types;  weigh em on a sensitive scale.  The heavier they are
the better and longer lasting before recharge they are.

As to older portable tool powerpacks.  It may be that only one battery in
the pack is causing the 'weak pack' symptom.  Take the pack apart, test
the cells individually.  Solder in a new one in place of the bad one.
Older nicads tend to short through.  Have done this many times, and if
the charger's still good, you're in businss.   Source of those ''extra'
nicads?   Why, the town's battery recycle dump behind the town barn.
There's plenty of old power tool packs in there and it don't even have to
be the same brand.  When you are there. pick up several old packs as
internally, the cells are not all of the same physical size.

Dave
Weymouth MA