Re: (ET) spam

The list is archived with email addresses clear (not obfuscated or
obscured).  The spambots harvest from the archive.  If you email this
list,
you WILL get spam (or more of it ;-).

The archives for other lists of which I'm a member are able to obscure or
alter the addresses of the members, so the spambots can't get them.  I
wrote
to the ET list administrator once about that and I think I recall him
saying
that it couldn't be done with this archive for some reason.

So, I've solved the problem by having two addresses subscribed to the
list.

The one on the head of this message is a send-only address.  I have it set
so the server does not send me any mail, but I can still post from it.
Any
mail I do receive at this address is thus presumably spam, and it goes
right
to the bit bucket; it never gets to my mailbox.  So, as my signature says,
you can't contact me at this address as the mail won't reach me.

I'm also subscribed at a read-only address.  That's the one I use to
receive
mail from the list.  Actually, I could send from it; I just don't.  I
never
send email to the ET list from that address, so the spammers can't harvest
it from the archive.

This works for me because I lease server space for my domain, and that
includes a mail server on which I can create as many email addresses as I
want.  Others can do the same thing by creating multiple accounts at the
ad-
supported webmail providers.  And of course if you aren't very careful to
guard your reading address, you can still start getting spam on it again.

Hope this helps.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

In politics stupidity is not a handicap.

                                        -- Paul Graham