Re: (ET) Alltrax install! (Off topic comment)

On 7 Sep 2006 at 21:45, Mr23 wrote:

> heal switch

Is this a switch that when pressed heals all your health problems?  ;-)

Warning : way off topic material follows!

When I was in driver's education in high school, we had to use a driving
simulator - I think it was once or twice a week.  We sat in fake car seats
behind fake instrument panels, pedals, and steering wheels.  The gadget
ran
a movie for 20 minutes or so.  We were supposed to watch the traffic on
the
screen, and accelerate, brake, and steer at the appropriate times.

Those who didn't do it right were so notified at the end of the session.
Mr. Dragovitch would stand up there and drone, "Number 14 killed the
pedestrian; number 6 hit the parked car, number 17 knocked down the stop
sign, number 4 was going 60 in the 35 zone ..."

I very quickly discovered that although the simulator's (probably very
crude) computer knew what my speedometer was reading, it didn't actually
measure how much I turned the wheel or how hard I braked.  So I could turn
the sharpest corners with just a nudge of the wheel, and stop for the
basketball with the kid chasing it with a light tap of the brake.  This
made
for very easy driving.

But the best part was the gas gauge on the instrument panel.  If it read
empty, I could fill up the tank just by pushing a little red button near
the
steering column.  Some student would always forgot to do it, though, and
he
would run out of gas.  Mr. Dragovitch would so intone at the end.

I really liked that button.  I keep trying to order ICE cars with a little
red button like that, but I've never been able to find it on the option
sheet.  But EVs and ETs come pretty doggone close!  You just have to plug
'em in before you hit the button, that's all.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Americans are satisfied with things because they are large; and
if not large, they must have cost a great deal of money.

                            -- Lepel Henry Griffin, ca. 1885