Re: (ET) 12 volts (was mounting a rotarty invertor?)

On 31 Aug 2006 at 20:31, David C Robie wrote:

> With the 'series
> parallel 12' scheme, a shorted cell drags everything down by 2 volts and
> the
> charger works overtime, never tapers down and overcharges the heck out
> of the
> rest of them.

Agreed, this is a danger.  I've had that happen in other applications.
You
just have to monitor your batteris.

> 12's are also built 'cheaply' in many cases more for profit by
> the dealer than for load carrying capacity.

No doubt, but the ones I use are not cheapies nor are they SLI (car)
batteries.  They're high quality gel type.  These are admittedly not high
current batteries, but they are very well made, consistent products.  I
would not recommend that anyone use cheap generic flooded marine batteries
for much of anything except >maybe< a trolling motor.

As I've posted here before, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this setup to
other ETers.  I use East Penn 8G24s in series-parallel because I happened
have a large quantity of them on hand.  For most people ordinary golf car
batteries are a better choice, and in fact I would not have these if I'd
had
to pay full price for them. ;-)

If you want a golf car battery that you don't have to water, East Penn
does
make one in this same range of gel batteries.  Although I haven't tried
them, every indication is that they are good products.  But they are much
more expensive than regular flooded GC batteries - and remember that
you'll
destroy gel batteries in short order if you try to charge them with that
blunderbuss GE charger.

I have had about 8 years of good service from these batteries so far.
YMMV.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA

Thou shalt not send me any thing which says unto thee, "send this
to all thou knowest."  Neither shalt thou send me any spam, lest I
smite thee.