(ET) 12V winch

Hump, the problems I have with the winch (Superwinch 1500) are it is too
strong and too fast.
Running at 36V would make it faster (and stronger?) and that would be a
bigger problem.
Already I have to use some kind of disposable sacrificial link between the
strap and the
implement so as to avoid ripping the fixture right off the implement.  I
use a 1.5" or 2"
diameter split ring (keyring).  When the snowblower is all the way up
against the stop and I
haven't managed to get my finger off the up switch, the split ring uncoils
and stretches so
that nothing breaks.  I've been trying to brainstorm some kind of fairlead
mounted on a spring
arm so I can get a visual indication of imminent damage, but I haven't got
anything yet.

The other possibility I've been considering is some way of implementing a
limit switch, but
that would need a different setup for each implement, and has other
electromechanical issues.

Still thinking...

Joel