(ET) The battery hunt (was: mounting a rotarty invertor?)

--- Markus <ev lorch net> wrote:

> Hi Kelly,
>
> my tractor came with 3 100Ah 12V SLA batteries when
> I bought it. It
> worked fine for mowing my half acre lot. I
> eventually bought new batteries
> mainly because I wanted to have the longer range.
> (6V floodies)
> After I had the heavier 6V batteries in place I
> noted that the tractor
> was a bit slower to speed up and not quite as peppy.
> I think it is due
> to both, the higher weight as well as the lower
> current that the floodies
> provide compared to the SLA.
>
> I charged the 12V SLAs like David with three 12V
> chargers to prevent over
> charging and gassing which the built in charger
> would cause.

OK, here's the latest.  I can get some used returns
for $40 each, only 4 instead of 6 unless I lean on the
battery place.  I can get a set of seconds (probably
Exide GC110) for $45 each.  I can get new GC110s for
$71.50 each.

BUT - I can also get 3 used "UPS batteries", 12v, 13"
wide but not as tall, for $25 each.  (I forgot to ask
about capacity.)  SLA, VRLA, the guy says .  I'm sure
I'll have to change my cable ends (or make cheesy
adaptors using top-to-side terminal converters :-),
but 3 of these plus 3 of the Soneil 1206's, or the
version at
http://www.batterymart.com/battery.mv?p=ACC-1206WB ,
would still let me get away for less than a set of 6V
seconds.

More thoughts?  What might the 12V SLA's be like in an
E12M that wants to mow about 0.6 acre on a slight
slope?

Kelly Williams
Mount Joy, PA