(ET) charge voltage

Seems like we've been there before. To reach full charge at "room temp", like in the low 79's F, the individual cells need to be pushed to aprox. 2.7 volts each so about 48 volts measured at the battery terminals when fully charged. A bit less isn't too bad but not as low as 40 or so volts. As a reference, an alternator charging a car battery is designed to run at 14.4 to 14.6 volts or about 2.4 volts per cell, this is to compensate for the engine compartment temperature - the higher temp wants a somewhat lower voltage. So, yeah, on mine the "power" gage needle goes to the upper part of the white zone. I don't use the et charger, have a portable "automatic" instead.

wombat

If you are seeing 40 volts, probably the capacitor is bad.