From: Michael S Briggs [mailto:msbriggs alberti unh edu]
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 8:44 AM
To: Elie, Larry (L.D.)
Cc: steves; elec-trak cosmos phy tufts edu
Subject: RE: (ET) motor current

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006, Elie, Larry (L.D.) wrote:

> Don't you have a Hall clip-on meter?  They are fine for this
> application.

Nope. I've never found them to be very accurate, so I don't use them.
        I realized last night that the approach of using the leads as a
shunt to measure voltage across (to calculate current) won't work, since

the resistance along the leads is essentially zero (tested to confirm) -

it's on the order of milliohms, and the leads from the multimeter
probably
add more resistance than the 14 Ga motor lead wiring itself.
        I'll just use my multimeter in ammeter mode, and short across it

when the blades first start up, so the startup current doesn't fry the
fuse.

Mike